toughen up little soldier

the veins and pancreas of pop-culture

1.03.2012

Graphic World

Get ready for what is probably my nerdiest post ever. Recently, I had to read a graphic novel for my English Lit class called Kick-Ass. I'm such a non- nerd: I'm terrible at math and science.. I don't even watch The Big Bang Theory! But the intense action, minimal verbal description, crisp artwork and immediatness of this book made me realise what I've been missing all these years: Comic Books!
Kick-Ass is at times comedic but mostly it's just dark, gritty and awesome. This 17 year old social outcast kid decides to be a superhero and discovers that he isn't alone. Enter Hit-Girl. The ten year old assasin with a dirty mouth.. I just ate it all up. And soo much blood.. I definately cringed a few times.
After I devoured Kick-Ass I was hungry for more and was turned onto Ghost World by my lil cutie Tavi Gevinson of StyleRookie.blogspot.com. It's about.. me basically. A girl just out of high school who loves doing art but can't quite seem to make her life work the way she wants it to.. It's also kind of dark with really cute humor and a childish innocence you wouldn't expect from such a tough looking character. Loved it.

If either of these stories sound appealing but you don't dig the panel lifestyle then lucky for you, both are now motion pictures I also saw recently and are really great! I actually like the ending of Kick-Ass movie version better!! Peace :) PS: I'd love to hear some reccomenations for others I might enjoy :)

No comments: