toughen up little soldier

the veins and pancreas of pop-culture

6.10.2010

Onto the Wild Road

I have a top 5 list of movies and a top 5 list of books that I've collected and polished and made available at the front of my brain for anyone cool enough to come to me and ask me what my top 5 favorite books or movies are. Today in english class my second least faovirte teacher ever, Bitch Black, (and no, she's not black like Lewis wanted to know.. it's her stupid name) showed our class my third favorite movie, which is, drumroll, Into the Wild, based of course, on the book by John Krakeur that I wasn't a fan of.
It's about a lot of things. Chrsitopher McCandless, this college graduate, also known as hotnlovelysexy Emile Hirsch, burns all his cash, abandoms everything and sets out to find a different way of living that doesn't involve materialistic things things things. So he wanders around the U S of A, finding really cool people, calling himself Alexander Supertramp, of course. And all the while, all these wonderfully perfectly directed adventures are being soundtracked by one of the best albums I've ever heard, I even bought the album before the actual movie, by Eddie Vedder from Pearl Jam. It's about a lot of things. It's about adventure, freedom, wanderlust, but most of all, truth.  "Rather than love, than money, than faith, than fame, than fairness... give me truth." 
 Two years he walks the earth.
No phone, no pool, no pets, no cigarettes. Ultimate freedom. An extremist. An aesthetic voyager whose home is the road. Escaped from Atlanta. Thou shalt not return, 'cause "the West is the best." And now after two rambling years comes the final and greatest adventure. The climactic battle to kill the false being within and victoriously conclude the spiritual pilgrimage. Ten days and nights of freight trains and hitchhiking bring him to the Great White North. No longer to be poisoned by civilization he flees, and walks alone upon the land to become lost in the wild.
— Alexander Supertramp
   May 1992
(btw carmine, this is how you legally put a quote in a blog, mmk?) 
Other than that, I'm getting another tattoo right, to go alone with my back's eternal sunshine.This newbie comes from one of mine, and Christopher McCandless's favorite books, On the Road, by Jack Kerouac. About a bunch of beat-nik do-no-good young people driving around the country, looking for money drugs sex and a fun fun time. The tattoo will say 'never yawn' and comes from one of my faovirte quotes of all time that I picked from the book as soon as I read it and repeated it to anybody who would listen, before I even know it was famou(I should add for my street cred) McCandless took a lot of inspiration from this book and I plan to do the same, except I won't die in the forest I promise. I don't even like moose.
They danced down the streets like dingledodies, and I shambled after as I've been doing all my life after people who interest me, because the only people for me are the mad ones, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time, the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn like fabulous yellow roman candles exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop and everybody goes "Awww!"

1 comment:

Carmine Leah said...

oh yweah? fuck you eh